Tuesday, June 8, 2010

1 on 1

1 on 1 with Dominique

Illinois basketball camp was this weekend. This takes place on The University of Illinois’ campus. The players were your coaches for this camp. There were a plentiful amount of phenomenal games and drills but I liked one activity the best. The best game was one on one with the Illinois basketball players. Read on to learn about my experience with Dominique Keller. Who is a power forward for the Illini.

As we split up into age groups, the coaches assigned the students to players. An Illini player was then assigned to each group. The ten and eleven year-olds were assigned to Dominique Keller. Dominique was a senior last year, but this summer he came back to be with the kids. When it was my turn I dribbled right past him and shot for a layup. He rejected me from behind! Next time I was up he was trying to get in my head. When I was about to shoot the ball Dominique said, “I’ll let you shoot that. I know you can’t make it.” I shot from the elbow the basketball went in…And then out. He was right but I got the rebound and shot again. I missed. Then Dominique got the ball and dunked right over me! I was up for the third time. He was playing off me because he thought I couldn’t shoot. When he passed me the ball I shot and it was a perfect swish. This was all the time we had. The fifteen minute bell went off and the game was over. I thought to myself, “I’m so lucky to be here right now. I’m so lucky to play with real basketball players.” If I go to this camp next year I’m going to try to make all my shots against the players.

5 comments:

  1. Lucas:
    You are incredible. You can do everything. You are an amazing basketball player, baseball player, and piano player. Anything you try hard to do, you can do. Plus, you are a great student.
    I'm lucky to know you.
    Nonny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next year you'll be the one dunking the ball. Just like this year you're the one stopping fastballs with your forehead. It was really interesting to read about your basketball camp. I hope your head is feeling better after last night's baseball game. Love, Papa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luca - I'm so excited to read your new blog! What a great way to keep in touch. I'll show it to Ben and Alek too, I know they will want to read it. You are a very good writer! I enjoyed reading about your experience at basketball camp - what fun!!

    You can check out our blog at www.carlsonfamilyadventures.blogspot.com

    Looking forward to your next post! How about, 'the day it took me 11 hours to get home from North Carolina?' (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Lucas! I knew you were good at playing sports but I didn't know you were great at all of them! I hope you are feeling better after getting hit in the head with a ball. Good thing you have a hard head :-) I can't wait for Liliana to see you play like a pro! Love, Aunt Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lucas,

    Your one-on-one was certainly a great experience. I remember when I was your age I had a similar experience with one of the Milwaukee Bucks players. 40+ years later I can remember most of the details. Wish I would of written about the experience in a journal (we didn't have the Internet back then). Great Job! Keep blogging. Mr. Strains

    ReplyDelete